By Women Warriors Ambassador + Guest Blogger Taylor Walker Sinning
It is that time of year again to dust off your gym bag and get those summer bodies in check! I have put a list of my top three tips for you to spring clean your workout in mind, body and soul!
3 WORKOUT TIPS:
- Try New Things: This spring, run, jump, lift, dance or step outside your comfort zone. There are so many fun ways to work out nowadays. Find a fitness or movement style you love and watch your commitment to fitness increase tenfold!
- Do Not Complicate Fitness: People always think that fitting in fitness means two hours in the gym. It doesn’t. Use online resources like: Youtube, Daily Burn, NTC or my favorite app called: “Sweat” by Kayla Itsines. You can get fit your workout in in thirty minutes or less without ever leaving the comfort and security of your own home.
- Ease On In: Rome was not built in a day and neither was your functional fitness capacity. If you burn yourself out on day one, the chance of you sticking to a workout regimen for the long term is slim to none. Set mini goals and before you know it you will be better, faster and stronger than ever!
3 HEALTHY EATING TIPS:
- Lighten Up: With warmer temps comes the tendency to reach for lighter fair. Put the days of heaping bowls of pasta behind you and embrace spring produce items like: peas, greens, asparagus and fennel. Still want pasta? Whip out the spiralizer and swap red meat for lean proteins like turkey, salmon or a sumptuous runny egg.
- Start a Habit Loop: Make spring the start to your “new year”. Start a habit loop by consuming something healthy first thing in the morning for at least twenty one days. Consume plain water, warm water with lemon or an adrenal kickstarter drink with water, lemon, cayenne, apple cider vinegar, turmeric and black pepper immediately after you wake up. This will help rev your metabolism and get your digestive juices flowing. This will also help you to put your health first and make healthier choices throughout the day.
- Make Breakfast the Most Important Meal of the Day: I know we have all heard this statement over and over again, but few of us act on it. Recently, I made sure to have more than just my morning java before heading to work or the gym. Not only have my morning workouts gotten more intense, but also, I have more energy to help me get through the day! Skipping breakfast for extended periods of time can actually lead to weight gain and other chronic diseases plaguing this country.
MORE MINDFULNESS THIS SPRING:
- Take a Social Break: As a blogger and fitness model that is sometimes defined and hired based on my social numbers; taking a break from social media can be difficult, but it is necessary. Sometimes I really have to force myself to shut it down and be more present. Even if the only time I get to do it is during my hour-long sweat session. I also try to step away from the screens at least an hour before bed to get a more restful nights sleep.
- Define Three words of Affirmation: “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” Often times during a mentally draining day, tough workout or just because, I need to hear something positive, and I use words of affirmation to help get me through. Write down your mantra or top three phrases that will help you to remain a calm positive patty no matter what the day brings!
- Take 15 minutes to do Something Only For You: If I know I have a hectic day I like to set my alarm to wake me up fifteen minutes early to stretch or sip a cup of bulletproof coffee and watch the news in peace. I know finding time for yourself can be extremely difficult, but spending time alone doing something for yourself can yield a happier, healthier you.